The mohanthal is one of the very popular gujarati sweet dish recipes. Mohanthal Recipe is a very traditional festive sweet made from sweetened gram flour and cooked slowly into a dense fudge flavored with saffron and nuts. It is very easy to make this sweet at home. Come let us prepare Mohanthal Sweet today.
1 cup gram flour
1 cup castor sugar
½ cup ghee + for greasing
3 tablespoons milk
A pinch saffron strands + for garnishing
½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
A pinch nutmeg powder
8-10almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered
12-15 pistachios, blanched and slivered
1. Grease a baking tin with some ghee.
2. To prepare sugar syrup, heat castor sugar along with ½ cup water and cook till sugar melts and you achieve one and half string consistency.
3. Take flour in a bowl.
4. Heat ghee in another non-stick pan and cook till it melts. Switch off heat,add some melted ghee to flour. Add milk and mix till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Sift the prepared flour mixture in another bowl.
6. Heat the remaining ghee again in the same non-stick pan. Add theflour mixture, mix continuously and cook on low heat till fragrant and golden.
7. Add saffron to sugar syrup and mix well.
8. Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder to flour mixture and mix well. Remove from heat, addsugar syrup and stir continuously.
9. Pour the flour-sugar syrup mixture into the greased baking tin and level it out. Garnish with slivered almonds, pistachios and saffron and cool.
10. Cut and serve.
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes